Friday 20 January 2012

We were lucky





Just over twelve months ago, on January 12th, 2011, Brisbane flooded. 
Right in the middle of this photo, with the white roof, is our house. 
Our two storey house.  


We were lucky.  


The water didn't reach the second floor.  
We were still out of our house for six months.  
All our soft furnishings upstairs had to be replaced because of the mould.


But we were lucky.


We had insurance which covered absolutely everything.
We had a house to repair, and insurance money with which to repair it.


My cousin had to be rescued from the roof of his house after an inland tsunami swept through the Lockyer Valley.
Many others lost their lives.


We know of people, many people, who are still not back in their houses.


We were lucky.


2 comments:

  1. I remember being glued to the news, not being able to believe my eyes. We've just had a doco on the flooding show here on TV tonight, marking 12months since the disaster. I still struggle to wrap my brain around some of those images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.
    I can't even begin to imagine.
    I am glad your family was safe.
    I am glad you had insurance and were able to rebuild.
    Hope 2012 holds wonderful things for you all.

    ReplyDelete