Sunday 22 January 2012

It's not about the weight

For years I've been making excuses about my weight.  I have PCOS; I'm too busy to exercise; my life is stressful, I need this chocolate.  You know the kind of thing.
But now, it's not about the weight.  Not really.
Now, it's about being healthy.  Living a long and happy life.  Watching my children grow up.
Although the Skipper's heart failure was not lifestyle related (he caught a virus which attacked his heart), it has still been a mighty loud wake-up call.  Our lifestyle has not been great.  I do no exercise, apart from chasing Gilligan.  And even that has given me asthma attacks when he's run too far, too fast.  Oh, and should I mention that I can't keep up with him.  Not great when you have a child with autism who is an ingenious escape artist and a sensory seeking runner!
As for diet, well, it could be worse, but it could be an awful lot better.  We eat well, but we eat way too much. Our portion sizes are huge.  We routinely eat chocolate at night.  We have takeaway too often.


Things are changing round here, folks.


The Skipper has had changes enforced upon him by virtue of rehab after seven weeks in a coma, eleven weeks in ICU and (so far) four and a half months in hospital.  He exercises every day.  He has to, they don't call them Physio-terrorists for nothing!  But he has noticed a change.  He feels more alert, more energised, on the days he exercises.  Hearing him say that was the biggest wake-up call I could ever have.  Because this was my partner in crime.  If he could start to feel that way about exercise, then maybe, just maybe, I could too.
So I bought a treadmill.  I've been using it.  I don't hate it.
And on Thursday I will start at Weight Watchers.


But this time it's different.


This time it's not about the weight.




2 comments:

  1. This is so good to hear. I need to get into exercise for health instead of always obsessing about my weight. I wish I could figure out how!! You children are gorgeous:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you! I started going to Curves about five years ago because I couldn't hack the pace of being a mum of three boys. I'd collapse on the lounge after dinner. Exercise has done wonders for my stamina (and my mental health, to be honest).

    I didn't realise you'd changed blog addresses. I've only just found you again!

    ReplyDelete